How do I get my audience to #listen? Specially if my content is dry or may not be to their taste?
A question we get asked often, yesterday Marianna Pascal, CSP gave a beautiful answer.
Be the DIRECTOR of your audience’s journey.
🎞️ Have you seen photos of film directors? They’re not on the stage, they’re huddled in the Director’s chair, looking into the camera 📹.
BUT, they go 1 step further – they CRAFT that journey. They are the ones that create the map for the audience to follow.
We need to do that, even if (actually especially if) what we are talking about is the KPI monthly review, or financial results or a process at work.
So, how do you get into the Director’s seat? Here’s my 3 key points based on what I heard from Marianna yesterday:
💎 KNOW YOUR DESTINATION 🎇 – be very clear on where you want your audience to land.
You need to know your Key Message and the #emotion you want them to feel. Here are some corporate examples:
– I want them to be confident that my team can meet the KPIs
– I want them to have full conviction that this is needed and agree to give me more budget
– I want them to believe this process is necessary
💎 Know Your STARTING POINT 📍- Where are they now? Emotionally and in terms of information
– Maybe they don’t have confidence in your team yet, OR Maybe they already have confidence in your team and just need the review for reassurance
– Maybe they don’t understand your proposal, OR maybe they do but are not convinced its the best
– Maybe they think the process is cumbersome and time-consuming, OR Maybe they’ve never heard about it before
💎 Create Your STORY 🗺️ – break it down, what would be realistic emotional steps they can take based on your Start and Destination
– Is there A story about someone else whose shoes they can step into? 👣? Is there an example you can use that they will listen to👂🏼? Something RELATABLE.
Focus on the emotional journey first, information comes later – once they are open to it.
Agree that this applies in the corporate world? Let me know in the comments.
Thanks Marianna Pascal, CSP, loved the session. You are an amazing Director, as we got to see yesterday.
Thanks Asia Professional Speakers Singapore for organising it.